Wednesday, January 28, 2009

More reactions to the Ole Miss-UK game

I agree with Dan on all his points and here are some more observations I picked up from watching the game and the Cats this season.

-Not only did Ole Miss do a good job of not letting Meeks catch and shoot but they played D on him the way I believe teams should start playing D. It's a makeshift triangle and 2 on him and Patterson basically. If you watched Ole Miss play defense off the ball on Meeks, whoever was guarding him —Huertas and White usually—denied him the ball. The other thing they did was whoever was guarding Harris/Miller would drop down and play in the post doubling up on Patterson. This is where Patterson needs not only a secondary move like Dan mentioned, but to utilize his 12-15 foot jumper, which he can hit and then force the defense out of him.

-If I'm an SEC team getting ready to play UK, I also switch my defense's up, much like Ole Miss. Not only would I run the makeshift triangle and 2, run a zone against this team, with a shadow on Meeks. Make Porter/Harris/Miller/Liggins hit the deep shots to beat you.

-The one thing that scares me about watching UK on defense now, is they seem to be too relaxed and relying on the shot blocking ability, mainly by Patterson and Stevenson. While UK is second in the nation in blocks, there still needs to be better perimeter defense, something which lacked tonight.

- The last thing I ponder is did the top 25 ranking and the media talk start to get to this teams head? I don't think so. Personally, I think it was the fourth road game in 2 weeks, and fourth game in nine days, just took a toll on this team. But it's something to worry a little about. We'll see how they do with a home game against a dangerous South Carolina team, we saw what they did to Florida.

In the meantime, Harris, Miller, Liggins, Porter, Galloway, get in the gym and start working on your long range jumpers. Meeks work on smarter drives, he starts to get out of control and has been forcing A LOT. Patterson work on your left hand and 12-15 footers.

I still think this team is dangerous come tourney time and could make a run to the Sweet 16 and win the SEC Tournament as well, but time will only tell.

No comments: