Monday, February 2, 2009

Are the Steelers the best franchise in sports?

I got quite irritated last night listening to ESPN ask this question. The answer is an obvious no. They are nowhere near the best franchise in sports. They are not even the best in franchise in the NFL. I'm not knocking their six Super Bowl titles, but there's more to being the best franchise than six Super Bowl titles. Especially when you were around during the NFL Championship era. Here, in no particular order are franchises I believe are hands down better than the Steelers.

Here notable Steelers stats: a record of 520-488-20. Have appeared in 7 Super Bowls winning, six. They never won an NFL Championship. Their first championship appearance came in 1974, 41 years after being founded. That's not the making of the best franchise ever. In fact they only made the playoffs once before 1972, that came in 1947. Recent history isn't AMAZING either, they've made the playoffs six out of ten years. Not bad, not the best.

1) Boston Celtics-17 NBA Championships in 20 appearances. They were founded in 1946, roughly 13 years after the Steelers. They have recorded a .591 winning percentage and 16 seasons.

2) New York Yankees- 26 World Series titles. 39 Pennants. Founded in 1901 as the Baltimore Orioles, they have won 57 percent of their games. In my opinion, and I hate saying this, probably the best franchise in all of sports.

3) Dallas Cowboys- founded in 1960 and have made eight Super Bowls, winning five. A record of 423-309-6. They have won their division 20 times in 48 years.

4) If you want to call these franchises, UCLA men's basketball and a handful of college football teams.

I'm sorry but the media sucks off Pittsburgh way too much for some reason. Hines Ward is creeping up on KG and Ray Lewis as an 'intensity' guy. They are becoming the Duke of the NFL. They seem to get a lot of the calls and a random bounce goes their way. I'm sorry ESPN I love you, but you're nowhere near the right answer in saying they are the best franchise in sports.

And last night's Super Bowl was NOT the best of all-time. But that's for a later argument...

6 comments:

Louisville John said...

I couldn't agree with you more about your rankings, or at least the part of leaving the Steelers out of the rankings.

Dan Howarth said...

"In my opinion, and I hate saying this, probably the best franchise in all of sports."

Yet they are number 2 on your list?

Dan Howarth said...

Also, you mention recent history with the Steelers. They have won 2Super Bowls in 4 years. The Dallas Cowboys have not won a playoff game since Larry Brown was Super Bowl MVP. Out of professional teams I think the Steelers are a debatable top 4 or 5. If you include hockey, Les Habs have to be included.

Bobby Reagan said...

Howarth, I also state it's in no particular order. I wrote it at work and listed teams off the top of my head.

Les Habs as well as the Detroit Red Wings have to be included. I rank the Steelers around 7. It's debatable, but their history isn't as glorious as much as people see 6 Super Bowls.

Randall said...

I think you're confusing greatest with most accomplished. Greatest, in my interpretation, should weigh the more recent years/decades more heavily since franchises change over time. Obviously the Yankees and Celtics are the best if you're just tallying all time championships.

I do feel the Steelers are the best franchise in sports right now. From ownership to coaching to drafting, they've been getting in done consistently for almost 2 decades. And thats harder to do in the NFL than other leagues.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you can consider any baseball team a contender due to the lack of salary cap. Celtics are probably number 1 due to the fair level of competition and some of the greats they had to play against to get the titles. Not to mention their from BOSTON! Nuff Said.