Friday, September 24, 2010

Will Kevin Durant Win More Than 5 Scoring Titles?


** We have asked commenters Dan Reagan and Randy Kern to play a PTI-style oddsmaker on 5 topics that we have chosen. This is the first part of the series. **


Randy - 60%

Michael Jordan won 10 scoring titles. I don't anticipate Kevin Durant will be as good an all around player as Michael Jordan, but in the avenue of pure "scoring", I don't see how he won't come close. Durants primary competition for the scoring title; Lebron James and Dwyane Wade, will be less likely to win scoring titles on the Miami Heat seeing as they have themselves and Bosh to distribute to. Durant is listed at 6'9, the same height as Lebron James, though I've heard accusations that he's actually taller than the 6'10 Amare Stoudemire, based on when they stand side by side. But its not his post game that racks in the points, its his jump shot. I'm not saying its as good as Kobes, but he's only 21 years old. And its not like Durant is as one dimmensional as say Reggie Miller, he can create off the dribble, and is nearly invincible off of screens. I don't adhere to the assumption that all NBA players gradually improve and peak in their late 20's, but the fact of the matter is Durant can and will get better. Thats pretty scary.
So why am I not giving him a higher percent chance of winning 5+ more scoring titles? I mentioned his "invincibility" off of screens. This is not only a strength but a weakness in that he is a little too reliant on it. Sure, he'll develop his game to where he won't rely on that so heavily, but developing his game doesn't mean "becoming a better scorer". If anything, as Durant matures he will be scoring LESS in that the passing, rebounding, defending, etc. aspects of his game will blossom. The Thunder aren't gonna win titles with because Durant drops 40 every night. Durant himself is indifferent towards winning scoring titles (I recall him being overly humble and stating that Lebron, Wade, Carmelo, Kobe were all better at scoring than he is).

With all that being said, I give Kevin Durant a 60% chance of winning 5 more scoring titles.




Dan Reagan - 90%

Interesting how Kevin Durant signing an extension with Oklahoma City to take 25 shots a night was looked at as unselfish and Lebron going to Miami in order to give up shots and win multiple titles was selfish. Not that I mind. Lebron’s a douche and I love me some Durantula. But KD really has set himself up to score A LOT of points by staying in OKC. Andre Igudola wasn’t completely crazy when he said last week that Durant will finish as the NBA’s all time leading scorer. With one scoring title already under his belt, with 2 of his competitors competing for shots in Miami, and with his career just beginning, I’ll give this one a 90%. It would be quite a feat considering he was only the second best player on his high school team.

5 comments:

Dan Reagan said...

If Andy Samberg up there is going to insist on writing novels, I demand to be listed first. The reader's already bored before they get to my zings.

Randy said...

So is the purpose of this to "entertain" the reader or to formulate a constructive point? I'm sure I can outdo you either way but excuse me while I "jizz in my pants".

Chad said...

Did you watch the FIBA World Championships? 99.9%

Brett said...

Yea FIBA against all international scrubs. There were so many NBA players that didnt play in that. 75% chance.

Who is andy samberg?

Snakes said...

How can Kevin Durant resigning with OKC be taken as "selfish" in any way, shape, or form? Are they not a team that is headed towards success without Durant having to jack up shots every possession? Are they not one of the youngest, most talented teams in the league? The amount of shots someone takes has nothing to do with the form of "selfishness" that you alluded to when mentioning LeBron's name.