Thursday, September 30, 2010

Heckling Your Friends About a Loss


My friends and I have a pretty intense rivalry over college sports teams. I went to Kentucky and all of them are Ohio State fans (there is one Maryland fan). Needless to say I despise Ohio State and Maryland and take joy in seeing them fail. When you are rooting for your friends’ team to fail, the question always arises how much you should gloat when they come up short (in Ohio State’s case that’s every time they play an SEC team). I have come up with some rough guidelines to follow (not just for college football).

- A Meaningless Regular Season Loss – It is ok to cheer vehemently against their team and rub it in their face when they lose. This loss isn’t critical to their season and it’s fun to heckle a person about games like this as they are unlikely to freak out.

- An Important Regular Season Game – I was watching the Giants-Titans game this weekend with Bobby a diehard Giants fan (He has NFL Sunday Ticket so I got to see the Browns game this way). I was pulling for the Titans but wasn’t openly cheering for them because it would highly piss him off. So instead I’d say things like, “Eli might want that one back” after he threw a left-handed duck into the end zone. He knew I didn’t want the Giants but I wasn’t antagonizing him too bad to the point that violence would erupt.

- A Playoff Game/Bowl Game/Game of Great Significance – If you are watching it with that person keep to yourself and speak when spoken to. You have to give them a grace period of close to a week before you can make fun of them. Personal example – My friend Kahnert (Maryland fan) texted me as UK was floundering in the Elite 8 game versus WVU this year to talk shit. That almost ended our friendship.

- The Most Crushing Loss Ever – Id call this the Brett Favre NFC title game last season. These are games you never bring up to rip on your friends about.

- LeBron James Spurns Their City on National TV – Buy your friend a bottle of liquor and drink it with him.

2 comments:

Randy said...

I can relate to some of this. OSU is gayer than hepatitis C and I make it clear to everybody that I feel that way, but I don't think I overdue it.

My friend Gorski is a diehard Steelers fan but he seems to emphathize with the Browns. There's a degree of mutual respect that I think you kawledge loving fags can relate to.

Oh and NO sports incident has an infinite statute of limitations as far as trash talking your friends is concerned.

P.S. Lebrons departure doesn't even sniff the top 10 of my worst lows as a Cleveland fan.

Anonymous said...

I agree... However, some teams are just too bad to root against. I have a friend who's a fake Orioles fan, but he acts like he's been die hard his whole life. He mistakes owning Orioles clothes/posters for being an actual fan and actually watching games. I want to root against them but i know he's not actually a fan and they're just too bad.