Thursday, September 23, 2010

With the Number 1 Pick ...

Thought of this discussion today instead of doing actual work. If every NFL player was eligible for a draft of a new organization who do you take - essentialy who are you building your franchise around? My answer:

Aaron Rodgers.

Why Rodgers instead of someone like Brees, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson or Peyton Manning? The big thing for me is the time you can have with Rodgers as the face of your franchise. Peyton Manning, while much better than Rodgers will play for a few more years. Rodgers is 26 years old and only in his third year as a starting quarterback. He has yet to experience an NFL injury, while still being an underrated mobile quarterback.

His stats are insane as heading into this year he had a total 59 touchdowns compared to 21 interceptions with over 8,800 yards to his name. He's also ran for 9 touchdowns and 570 yards.

I also look at building around a quarterback as opposed to a running back due to shelf life. While I firmly believe Johnson and Peterson are exceptions to the short life of a running back inthe NFL, I see Rodgers playing until he's 38 years old. That's another 12 years with a solid quarterback (hello, Brett Favre's footsteps).

That's who I'm building around. What about you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I know who I would I take with the 255th pick... Some long snapper from Harvard because he too is better than Eli Manning!!!

Touchdown Kentucky and we like it that way...

Randy said...

Obviously I'm gonna agree with you here and chose Aaron Rodgers, Bobby. And this has nothing to do with my man crush on Aaron Rodgers. If you're chosing someone to build a team around for this season and the future, you're gonna chose the consensus best young QB. If I had to play devils advocate I'd chose Phillip Rivers.

Chad said...

Cam Newton.. He once beat Tim Tebow in an arm wrestling match!